The Advanced Mobility group is looking for a R&D Engineer.
- Field customer requests for research, development and advanced testing capabilities that are not already part of TRC’s existing repertoire of services.
- Identify high-value complimentary external engineering service providers, develop strategic partnerships and manage their work in support of our customer needs.
- Strengthen relationships with existing partner organizations, including other proving grounds, test houses, expert consultants, academic or governmental organizations.
- Support collaborative investigations, proposal development and application for grants. Seek funding opportunities for promising R&D work that advances TRC’s strategic desires for competency development and technical credibility across the automotive industry.
- Develop proposals, budgets, work plans, test and/or research reports.
- Help extend TRC’s technical credibility with current customers and develop new opportunities. Publish and present technical papers for organizations such as SAE.
- Collaborate with industry and academic partners (especially Ohio State) in areas that strategically grow the value of TRC’s services to provide a one-stop shop for our customer’s verification needs while helping our internal team develop strategic capabilities in domains that include:
- Active Safety / Advanced Driver Assist Systems
- Autonomous Vehicles
- V2V, V2I connectivity and Cyber-security
- Intelligent Transportation Systems
- Ergonomics / Human Factors
- Vehicle Dynamics
- Development of new test methods
- Analytical verification methods
*TRC Inc. is an equal employment opportunity employer and is willing to make a change or adjustment to a job or work environment that allows a qualified individual with a disability to satisfactorily perform the essential functions of a particular job.
**Nothing in this job description restricts management’s right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time.
Other Duties and Responsibilities (Non-Essential Functions)
- Complete projects on-time, on-budget and on-strategy.
- Provide regular updates to management on key project performance metrics.
- Experience with automotive product development, especially with strategic domains bullet listed above. Additional automotive experience that is highly valuable:
- Research and advanced technology development
- Vehicle testing on proving grounds
- Vehicle data networking and on-board electronics
- Design Verification Planning and Reporting (DVP&R)
- Assessment of Vehicle Dynamics, Durability, Corrosion, Fuel Economy
- Regulatory standards such as FMVSS, SAE, ASTM, ISO, ECE…
- Excellent written & verbal communication skills.
- Experience with academic research programs, related fund raising and grant writing
- Advanced degree in engineering or other relevant technical field or equivalent technical capability.
- Ability to work well with diverse backgrounds, from test drivers with HS equivalent education, hands-on mechanics, administrative personnel, advanced-degreed engineers and university professors.
- Comfortable with periods of minimal managerial guidance, while navigating the uncertainty of sometimes ill-defined R&D projects, many of which may not come to full fruition.
- Experience managing multiple concurrent projects and meeting tight deadlines with significant workload in a changing uncertain environment that demand adaptability and a strong sense of urgency.
- Strong problem-solving capabilities, good attention to detail, organization skills and ability to think systemically.
- Proficient with Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint, Visio).
- Standard office, climate controlled environment
- Must be able to remain in a stationary position for an extended period of time
- Ability to operate a computer and other office equipment
- Ability to communicate with customers and co-workers
Transportation Research Center is an Equal Opportunity Employer